Kraft Business Cards:
Aesthetic, Natural, Organic
If you are thinking about having business cards printed out for your brand, the picture that you will most likely have in mind is a plain cream business card in thick cardboard. But you can actually veer off the traditional by going for something unique like brown kraft business cards. Aesthetic, natural, and organic-looking, these business cards will appeal to the eco-warriors and those who like arts and crafts. If you are in the business of saving the environment or if your business is doing something to help save the Earth by having a green and eco-friendly operations, you can use this to your marketing advantage and represent it through kraft business cards.
What are the Most Popular Business Cards Out There?
If you’re still not convinced that you should steer clear of beige, thick business cards, here is a quick look at some of the most popular options available today:
Natural business cards or brown kraft business cards fall under this category. As the name implies, uncoated business cards have no special coating or lamination. You can take your pick from different paper stock or thickness – the thinnest is 14-pt. while the thicker ones are 18-pt. and 32-pt. For brown kraft dry business cards, it is recommended that you use 18-pt. paper stock.
- Smooth Matte Business Cards
Unlike dry business cards, smooth matte business cards have a non-textured surface. The paper is smooth and has a matte or non-glossy finish. Examples of this are frosted plastic, white plastic, soft touch suede, silk laminated, and premium business cards. For the paper thickness, these smooth matte business cards range from 16-pt., 17-pt., 19-pt. and 20-pt.
Another popular option is glossy business cards which include clear plastic, premium, or luster laminated. These cards use paper material that range from 14-pt. to 22-pt. thickness.
Why Go for Brown Kraft Business Cards?
Next, why should you go for natural business cards? Here are a few reasons:
- Brown kraft business cards look earthy and creative.
These cards are a type of recycled business cards so you can rest assured that you are doing your share in helping save the environment by ordering them. Recycled cards and anything that’s reusable and sustainable are popular these days because of the climate change problems that we are facing. More than just using being ‘green’ as a marketing method, you will really be doing your share in helping reduce waste by going for recycled business cards.
- You can go for either white or black ink.
The main material of recycled business cards are brown, thick, natural-looking paper. For this, you do have the option to go with traditional black ink or the edgier white ink. Depending on the design of your business card, the white ink will look great against the natural brown background. If you have illustrations or if the design of your card is creative, white ink is a great option to go for. However, if you want your logo to stand out, solid black ink against the natural brown background will still make the dark colours pop.
- The material is eco-friendly and unique.
Sustainability is all the rage these days so by going with business cards which are made from recycled brown paper, you can easily join the trend. But more than its marketing advantage, what is important is the uniqueness and eco-friendliness of using recycled business cards.
- You can take your pick from different sizes.
These are the different business card sizes that you can choose from:
- Standard US size: 2.5” x 3.5”
- European size: 2.125” x 3.375”
- Square business cards: 2.5” x 2.5”
- Slim skinny business cards: 1.75” x 3.5”
US standard size is the most popular but since you are already taking the unique route by choosing natural business cards, why not select a size that’s not the standard as well?
Designing Brown Kraft Business Cards
It might be a bit more challenging to design brown recycled business cards because of the colour of the background, so these are a few tips to remember:
- When designing natural dry business cards, remember that the colours you will choose should blend with your logo and the rest of the business card design. For natural business cards, the dominant colour is brown so how can you make the rest of the design stand out with such a background? As mentioned earlier, you can go for either white or black ink. If you have illustration or a creative logo, white ink against the brown background may look great. On the other hand, if you want to emphasize the company name or logo, you might want to stick with black ink.
- When designing natural business cards, you have a very limited space to work with. This means that you should pay close attention to even the smallest details like the size and style of the font. Do you want the card to have a landscape or portrait orientation? If you decide to go with portrait-oriented cards, how can you fit the letters of your business name into the space available? Make sure that it’s not too big – otherwise the space would look very crowded. The font size should be big enough for customers to read the card clearly, or else they would be frustrated at what can be considered poor design or aesthetics. Also, there’s nothing wrong with using creative fonts especially if you are in the design business. Just make sure that the card remains its simplicity and the space does not look too busy or overcrowded.
- With such limited space, you might not want to incorporate all your contact information on the business card. Just include the crucial ones. For example, if you do not have a physical store, you can ditch including a physical address on the card. When designing dry business cards, make sure that all the elements are not superfluous. If you are a mom-and-pop establishment and you do not have a social media presence, you can simply indicate your email address and telephone number on the card. It’s all a matter of deciding which information should go in the card and which ones customers can do without.
- If you must add photos or illustrations on the card, make sure that they are professionally drawn or shot. Real estate agents, for example, choose to include photos in their business cards because the way that they conduct sales and dealings are more personality-based. It is not recommended that you include photos in kraft business cards, however. Illustrations and creative drawings are what would look best against the natural brown background.
- Lastly, consider the overall look of the design. When you take one glimpse at the card, can you say that it represents what you are all about as a brand? When you scrutinize the details – the font, the sharpness of the print, the size of the letters, and the correctness of the information included, does it look perfect or are there flaws? To make sure that you are printing the best card that will represent your brand well, pay attention to even the smallest details.
Know How to Choose the Best Printing Company for Your Business Cards
One more aspect of printing recycled cards or dry business cards that you need to think about is the printing company who should do a good job of it for you. When you go online, look for a printing company with plenty of experience in creating not just natural business cards but other promotional printed materials as well.
Here are other factors that you need to consider:
- The printing method used.
For recycled business cards, offset printing may be the better option than digital printing. The latter uses desktop digital printers which may work well for small batches of kraft business cards. But if you need hundreds of business cards delivered within the next 24 hours, for example, then it is best to go with companies that use offset printing. Instead of printing directly on the page, they use the offset printing process and utilize state-of-the-art printing presses. These are huge machines which, when set up, can churn out dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of prints in a very short amount of time. Quality-wise, offset printing also delivers more professional results.
How quickly do you need to get your hands on 100 pieces of natural business cards? Most companies offer a turnaround time of 3 to 5; 5 to 7; or 7 to 10 business days. For an additional price, however, you can have them delivered within the next 24 hours.
You also need to consider the costs involved. Since kraft business cards are recycled business cards, shouldn’t they cost less than traditional linen cards? What is the minimum number of cards that you can order? Compare the package price offered by two or three printing companies, then narrow down your choices from there.
Most printing companies would not require you to visit their office to have natural business cards made. Instead, you simply need to visit their website and specify the number of cards that you need, the size, the printing speed, and any special features that you may request for. After making a payment and uploading your design, you can wait for the cards to be delivered straight to your doorstep – it’s that easy.
- The quality of customer service offered.
If you don’t have a design for the business card just yet, look for a printing company that offers tools so that you would not need to hire a graphic designer to do the design for you. There are companies that offer these tools for those who do not have a design that they can upload on site:
- Downloadable business card design templates
If you want a simple design and you already have a logo, you can simply download a template from the website of the printing company. For this, you just need to change the text and change a few elements here and there. After making all the changes you want, you can save the design from the template and upload it on the website.
- Online design tool for business cards
If you have a bit of background on graphic design, there are online design tools that you can also use. Choose a printing company that offers an online design tool free of charge. This way, you can create a design for brown kraft business cards at no extra cost.
Those who are taking the extra mile in offering great customer service may also offer design correction services for free! After taking the do-it-yourself route in designing the business card, you do have the option to fix art issues for free. If there is something wrong with your colour choice or if the font size would look too big on the actual print of the card, a designer can correct such elements for you. Some printing companies offer this service for a minimal fee.
By doing your homework in researching for the best printing company out there, you can have the best looking kraft business cards. These aesthetic, natural, and organic business cards will excellently represent your business – especially if they are made using the offset printing method.